Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's Only Hair - Part 3

Check out the first installment of  It's Only Hair

This morning I was losing lots of hair so I decided to get it cut. I grabbed a scarf  on my way out the door and got in touch with Kristen, the cosmetology teacher, as soon as I got to school. I told her I had a "teachable moment" for her students and wondered if they would cut my hair. She was happy to do this for me and we arranged to get together at 1:00. When I got to my classroom I realized I didn't have a camera. So I called Jennifer, the journalism teacher to see if they had a camera and needed a story idea. Of course!

At 1:00 I arrived at the Tiger Salon and there was a student waiting with a typed list of questions and a camera. We chatted for a few minutes while they were getting ready for me. When I got in the chair I asked if we could brush my hair to see if it should be cut in a cute short style or cut really short (there is a difference). Lots of hair was come out. I reached up to check it myself and clumps kept appearing between my fingers. I cried. The teacher took the lead and consoled me. She then asked if I wanted to make the first cut myself, so I could be more in control. For some reason, I smiled and that was all it took. I made about 3 passes and then let the Allison take over.

This is before the cut

I cringed as I made the first buzz through my hair.
The journalism teacher held my hand. It's the first time I've ever
really talked to her. She was so nice.



Allison seemed like a pro with the clippers
I'm actually smiling at my new look!


Allison watched some You Tube Videos to prepare for
"this special client" and arranged the scarf perfectly.

I will always remember this day for many reasons. But more importantly, the students have experienced a life lesson.   I love my new look!

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie, This is Tanya...I am struggling with how they want me to publish this so I had to use anonymous.
    I think the scarf looks great and the smile looks even better!
    Silent Auction is finally over-huge success- but exhausting!
    I am on board not to do whatever you need me to do. Call me some time this week and we can get togethter.
    Prayers and HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! I know what you mean - the Pancake Breakfast was Saturday so we were pretty busy in addition to this "new normal". I'll call you Monday or Tuesday.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

© In This Together, Breast Cancer Support, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena