Saturday, December 22, 2012

Letter to Santa

Friday was the last day of school and now it's time to get ready for the Holidays. I got home just in time for the Lazyboy delivery of a replacement cushion. I first met Bill in October when he repaired my recliner. We had discussed how he learned to sew, which lead to my job as a home ec teacher (gasp! I said the word) and then to other job related topics. He was easy to talk to so today I pointed out my new head gear and he shared that his aunt and mother are breast cancer survivors. I should be keeping tally every time I hear about survivors because it's a lot!

Lora, Christie, Aleena, and Katie
getting ready to play in the kitchen.
Lora and her daughter arrived shortly after and we spent several hours visiting, making and decorating cookies, making pizza and just hanging out. Aleena brought me some warm socks (she found out I asked Santa for a pair) and a copy of a letter she wrote to Santa. It's the most precious wish and I am so blessed to have them both in my life.
We agree that it was divine intervention when I got my first teaching job back in 1987.  At that time, Lora was 8 years old when her mom lost her battle with leukemia. A few years later Lora entered my classroom and my life. I am honored that she calls me her second mom.

Aleena explained that when she wrote this at school she didn't know that I was her "adopted grandma".
She thought I was her "real" grandma. How sweet is that ?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© In This Together, Breast Cancer Support, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena